Thursday, May 8, 2008

The Evolution of Andrew's Nickname

This is too good a story not to be written somewhere. It's kind of embarrassing for me, but whatever. I think it's funny, too.

Being a Gjefle, I've been dubbed with a number strange nicknames over the years, usually related to my unusually-spelled surname. I expected no less going into college, but what has happened this year quite exceeds anything that has yet happened. People here often pronounce my last name "jeffles," which is quite common for me. It's quite prevalent, too; it's probably what people call me more than any other name. So it was no surprise when my friend Chelsea called me that early in the year. No big deal, right? Well, my other friend, Kip, misheard her and thought it sounded like she said "chuckles." So he thought that sounded funny and for most of this school year, Chuckles has caught on and I am now called so by a good number of folks (keep in mind that none of this bothers me; I just think it's funny). Well lately, due to laziness or simply a strange sense of humor, my RA has simply shortened it to Chuck. Now this I find quite funny. My nickname has gone from a strange last name to a bastardization of that same surname to an utterly unrelated word to an actual name. Funny how things like that work.

...though I think I still would have preferred Jonny Awesome. XD

2 comments:

K. H. said...

hmmm "Chucky Awesome"? "Chuck full o' Awesome"? "Chawesome"? they dont quite have the same ring

Sir Brian The Manly said...

Jonny Awesome's the way to go. Dare I say it....it's awesome.